Sunday, 2 February 2014

Guest Speakers and Presentations

What an interesting month!
It started off with a talk from Una Brennan the renowned facialist based in Notting Hill, who previously attended BMC. 
It was really interesting to hear a journey from someone who had completed the same course as we are doing and it also sparked a few thoughts about what I could achieve after course completion! 
I have a keen interest in massage and holistic therapies, and I was really surprised to hear how much manual draining and massage there is in delivering a facial. So I am now looking into doing a part-time facial course next academic year if the timetable allows it!

There was also a talk from Tracey McAloney in regards to the OCN course provided by Macmillan Cancer to train in adaptive treatments for cancer patients. I really have a keen interest in that area as I fundraise for Marie Curie Cancer Care through various treks and zipline challenges and have currently raised over £7000 in 2 years. 
Again  it is something I would really like to look into further upon course completion as I used to volunteer on the wards up in the local Hospice and it would be amazing to be able to provide treatments to patients to alleviate symptoms and induce a sense of relaxation and wellbeing. I just hope I gain a place on the course at the end of the year!!

Additionally I had to produce a presentation on Self Directed Learning for my second Personal Professional Development assignment. Again I have a real fear of speaking in front of people in a formal setting, it was rather stressful but I was so glad to get it out of the way - and its a skill I can definitely improve on for next year. 

I still cannot get over how fast this course is flying in and next month again is going to be pretty busy with a Health Promotion event to organise!

No comments:

Post a Comment